In the Japanese recession of 1962, Yamaha did not race and in fact had to close its Technical Laboratories. Despite this, a more powerful 125, the RA55 of 56 x 50.7mm bore and stroke, was now developed, making 22 hp at 10,500 rpm. It has been called "a test bed for the RD56." The 250 RD48 now received a third transfer port in each cylinder, raising its power to 42 hp. In photos RD48 is seen with that era's state-of-the-art rear suspension: Girling units. In the mid- to late 1950s British riders hired by Italian makers brought Girlings with them in their luggage (to protect them from the pogo sticks some makers used as suspension). Norton, backing the engineering of the McCandless brothers in 1950, had shown what the full package of twin-loop chassis and hydraulic-damped telefork and swingarm suspension could do. Oddities such as sliding-pillar and leading/trailing-link had by 1958 finally been given up by motorcycle designers. Although Japan was half a world from the Europeans GPs, you can be sure Yamaha engineers availed themselves of every information source—especially the German engineers with whom they began consultation in the 1950s.