An astonishing five months elapsed from the moment when Guzzi principal Giorgio Parodi gave the project his approval until the first engine ran. Thirty days later came the first track test. Lead engineer Giulio Cesare Carcano, assisted by Umberto Todero and Enrico Cantoni, followed a logical path to a V8. Guzzi had nothing competitive in the 500cc class. Its “bicilindrica,” the 120-degree V-Twin that had won the TT in 1935, had been retired as too slow in 1951. Its replacement, a liquid-cooled longitudinal four-cylinder, had been troublesome and ill-handling, winning only one GP. It was retired in 1954, leaving Guzzi with what it did so well: light, agile Singles with broad pulling power. With such Singles, Guzzi won 350cc world championships 1953-57 inclusive, defeating DKW’s 10,000-rpm two-stroke Triple and Gilera’s transverse inline-Four.